Spring is a time for renewal and refreshing as we come out of the hibernation of an especially long and rough Winter. Winter is a heavy feeling time, we eat more hot and comforting foods, but they leave us feeling heavy (and maybe adding on a few pounds). That’s why I love to do fresh juices once Spring finally hits. Typically I do a juice cleanse for anywhere from 3 – 7 days. During the cleanse I only have a juice at Breakfast and Lunch, and then a full Vegan meal for Dinner, with a few vegan, raw snacks in between. This Spring I’ve decided to just have a juice at Breakfast as a great way to start the day, and continue with clean eating meals throughout the rest of the day.
Benefits of Juicing:
- A great way to get more fruits and vegetables into you daily diet.
- There are claims that your body more readily absorbs the nutrients from the juice than if you eat the fruit or veggie whole.
- Give digestive system a rest by not having to digest all of the pulp from each veggie and fruit.
- Improves immune system and can prevent some illnesses, as well as helping to lower blood pressure.
- Increased energy levels.
Here is my favorite recipe for juicing. This makes two 20 oz glasses of juice, so you use them for Breakfast and Lunch, or two days of Breakfast.
Put all of the following ingredients into your juicer and enjoy!
- 4 apples (I prefer to use Granny Smith for a little more sweetness)
- 2 Beets
- 4-6 Carrots
- 2 -4 cups of Kale or Spinach
- 2 Cucumbers