Self care can seem, well, selfish. I think so many of us in today’s society are running around, getting our to do lists checked off, and taking care of others along the way. This is often at the neglect of ourselves. In order to be the best care giver we can be or need to be to the others in our lives like our children, spouses, friends and family we need to take care of ourselves first and for most.
I’ve mentioned this metaphor before but it’s still my favorite. I always think about when you are on a plane and the flight attendants are going through the safety demonstration. When they get to the oxygen mask they say to make sure you give yourself oxygen first, before administering it to another person. If you don’t take care of yourself first, you are not in the best position to help others.
You’re probably now asking yourself “What does this all have to do with tea?”
Fridays are now the only day that I am not teaching a class. All the other days of the week now start with early morning classes and end with evening classes, with lots of running around in-between. Plus I’m squeezing in checking off my to do list, running errands, and squeezing in my own workouts as I can.
I used to save everything for Friday and would spend my only real day off running around crazy. I decided this week to use Fridays as my self care day. I’m going to use Fridays as a reset for my week, only doing things that are beneficial to my mind, body and soul. Starting with a warm cup of Turmeric Tea and meditation. I’m going to only fill the day with things that make my face breakout in smile, and my heart breakout in song. Meditation, Yoga, bubble baths, pedicures, clothes shopping, anything that’s just fun, relaxing and soul soothing.
Turmeric Tea is an Ayurvedic tool often called “Golden Nectar”, “Liquid Gold”, or when made with milk “Golden Milk”. Turmeric has so many amazing benefits and has shown in research to help with so many different ailments. Of course you can just use Turmeric in cooking, but having a cup of Turmeric Tea a day will be the most beneficial, and it’s a great way to take care of yourself as you start your day. It’s a warm cup of comfort and healing.
I will be doing the Turmeric Tea recipe first thing in the morning to help the metabolism to wake up, and I’ll end my day with a cup of the Creamy Turmeric Tea before bed to help relax me as I drift off to sleep. Try all the variations and let me know which way you like it best in the comments!
- Brew a cup of your favorite green tea (for the added benefits from the green tea) or just boil a cup of water
- Add the juice of lemon or lime to your taste
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- Sweeten with your favorite sweetener such as honey, agave or stevia
- You can add other spices/herbs as you like such as ginger, cinnamon, clove, cayenne pepper, or black pepper*
*It’s been shown in studies that adding a dash of black pepper with Turmeric helps our bodies absorb the benefits of Turmeric better.
Here is the milk variation known as Creamy Turmeric Tea or “Golden Milk”:
- In a sauce pan, gently warm a cup of Almond or Coconut Milk
- In your mug add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric, 1 teaspoon of your sweetener and any additions you’d like such as ginger, cayenne pepper, black pepper, cardamon, cinnamon, etc.
- Add a little (about a teaspoon) of the warmed milk to your cup and mix together until smooth with no lumps. Add the rest of your milk and mix well.