When people ask “If you could only eat one food every day for the rest of your life, what would it be?” my answer is always PIZZA! It is absolutely my most favorite food ever. The problem is that it’s not really the best thing to eat when you are trying to eat healthier or lose weight. However, that is where Cauliflower Crust Pizza comes in.
Cauliflower Crust Pizza is a great substitute that is low carb, gluten free and can be adapted to fit many different diets such as Paleo and Whole 30. After years of playing around with it, I think I have finally perfected my recipe. The key is in getting out as much of the water as possible out of the cauliflower.
- 1 medium head of cauliflower (organic)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of cheese (Preferably organic and from grass fed cows. You can also do lower fat cheese)
- 1 medium egg
- Toppings for pizza – cheese, sauce, veggies, etc
- Cut up cauliflower and put in food processor. Pulse until its all broken up into smaller pieces similar to cauliflower rice. You can also grate it with a cheese grater but that takes longer.
- Place cauliflower in a bowl and microwave for about 5 minutes to soften the cauliflower and pull some of the moisture out.
- Press the cauliflower in a strainer or cheesecloth to get more moisture out and add it back to the bowl
- Add your cheese, egg and seasonings and mix well until it is a dough like consistency
- Pat out onto a pan lined with parchment paper into desired shape and thickness.
- Bake in an oven at 425 for about 20-30 minutes until it is golden brown and crispy looking. A thicker crust will take longer to bake. Baking time will depend on your oven. You want a crispy crust similar to a regular pizza dough crust.
- Remove from oven and add toppings: sauce, cheese, veggies, etc.
- Place back in oven and bake another 10 – 15 minutes until toppings are warm and cheese on top is melted.